More from The Wedding Guru

How to Submit Your Engagement Announcement to the Newspaper

Just engaged? Congratulations! Here’s how to share the news with your community

(page 2 of 2)

The Wedding Guru says: You can often find submission information right on the page in the paper where they list engagement and wedding announcements. You should also read what other engaged couples have written for guidance. Here are some general rules about submitting an announcement:

  • If you want to include a photo, a two-by-three-inch black and white glossy is best. Be sure to write the bride’s name, address, and telephone number on the back of the photo.
  • Send a copy of your information (i.e. the announcement) with the photo; type all names written out in full... no nicknames.
  • If your parents are deceased or divorced, include that in your text.
  • If your name is different from your parents’ name, include an explanation.
  • Run the information by both sets of parents, unless you’re hosting your own wedding. Ask your parents to double check for content, style and spelling.
  • Sign your submission to cover the newspaper legally, and include your phone number for contact purposes.

For other information about announcing your engagement, check out’s article “Announcing Your Marriage.”

» More wedding tips
» More from The Wedding Guru
» Submit a question to the Wedding Guru
» Hudson Valley Weddings 2013


Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Your to-dos before the I-dos

About This Blog

Tying the knot shouldn't put knots in your stomach, so whether you're the blushing bride, hubby-to-be, or even a wedding guest, The Wedding Guru Judy Lewis can answer all of your wedding-related questions.

This blog hails from, the one-stop resource for services and products, promotions and specials, a Regional Bridal Show schedule, Wed Shop, and links to money-saving and wedding-related Web sites.

Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module