Recipe: Chioggia Beet Poke, Kale Wakame, and Togarashi Rice Crisps
Main Course Catering has offered up their secrets to one of their most-loved dishes.
Photo Courtesy of Main Course Catering
If you happened to attend our 2017 Best of Hudson Valley Party, you may have already tried Main Course Catering’s take on a vegetarian poke bowl. That’s right, the dish is totally fish free, but fear not – it’s still delicious. And though making poke at home may sound intimidating, Main Course Catering takes us step-by-step through the process, so follow along below for a healthy dish that’s a proven party-pleaser.
Related: Best of Hudson Valley 2017
Chioggia Beet Poke, Kale Wakame, with Togarashi Rice Crisps
Makes 10 Portions
Chioggia Beet Poke
- 2lbs Chioggia Beets
- ½ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- ½ Cup Yuzu Juice
- ¼ Cup Tamari (Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
- 1 Cup Canola Oil
- Boil Beets until fork-tender, Peel, Dice, and Chill
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and rice wine vinegar until dissolved. Whisk in yuzu, tamari, and canola oil
- Toss chilled beets in vinaigrette and marinade for at least 1 hour.
Togarashi Rice Crisps
- 1 Tbls Togarashi
- 3 Tbls Canola Oil
- ½ Box Rice Crispies
- In a sauté pan, heat oil and toast Togarashi for 15 seconds until fragrant. Toss with rice crisps
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced scallion
- 1 cup pickled ginger, sliced thin
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 3 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbls Toasted sesame oil
- Wash kale and chiffonade (slice into thin ribbons). Mix in a large bowl with carrots, scallion, and ginger.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients until all is dissolved. Toss over kale mixture and marinade for 1 hour.
Assembly: In the Bottom of a bowl, Start with ½ cup Togarashi Crisped Rice. Build a mound of Kale Wakame on top, and then finish with Poke. Garnish with Micro Wasabi, Toasted Sesame seeds, and Sliced Scallion.