Annual Ramp Fest Event Returns to Hudson
Hudson’s annual Ramp Fest, which celebrates the perennial wild onion that sprouts in the spring, returns to Basilica Hudson
Photographs by Akemi Hiatt for Ramp Fest
Ramps — otherwise known as wild leeks — are highly valued for their strong onion flavor, garlicky aroma, and brief blooming season. Plus, they make a mighty fine addition to lots of different dishes. Thus was born Ramp Fest: a one-day celebration of this potent plant that marks the arrival of spring.
On May 2 from noon to 4 p.m., head to Hudson to indulge in a variety of delicious dishes — all starring the ravishing ramp — created by more than a dozen top Hudson Valley and New York City chefs. (Scroll down: we highlight some of these dishes at the bottom of this story.)
Representing Hudson are Zak Pelaccio of Fish & Game, Jeff Gimmel (Swoon Kitchenbar), and John McCarthy (The Crimson Sparrow); other notable participants include Marc Propper (Miss Lucy’s Kitchen in Saugerties) and Job Yacubian (The Farmer’s Wife in Ancramdale) — view the full list of participating chefs (and what they’re cooking) below, as well as at the event’s Web site. Enjoy live music and a cash bar, too.
Live music and savory samples highlight the annual event
This year’s event is sponsored by Camphill Village, Chatham Brewery, Glynwood Green Mountain Energy, Hawthorne Valley Farm, and Saratoga Spring Water. It’s the fifth year, so who knows — it may soon start rivaling the Hudson Valley Garlic Festival on the other side of the river!
If you go...
Ramp Fest Hudson
When: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 12-4 p.m.
Where: The Basilica Hudson, 110 S. Front St., Hudson
Cost: $30 in advance, $35 at the door, $10 children under 12
Details: 518-822-1050; www.rampfesthudson.com
Ramp Fest returns to Basilica Hudson this year
What’s cookin’, good-lookin’?
Here are some of the featured ramp dishes at this year’s festival:
- Ramp Tater Tots with Ramp Aioli (Swoon Kitchenbar, Chef Jeff Gimmel)
- Ramp and Lamb Kofta with Ramp Borahi (Another Fork in the Road, Chef Jamie Parry)
- Ramps, Pork Cheek, Lemongrass and Wasabi (The Crimson Sparrow, Chef John McCarthy)
- Ramp Jalapeño Margarita (Miss Lucy’s Kitchen, Chef Marc Propper)
- Bone Marrow Matzoh Balls with Chicken and Ramp Broth (Fresh Company, Chef Shelley Boris)
- Salad of Marinated Squid, Escarole, Cauliflower, Grilled Lemon, Farro and Ramps (The Farmer’s Wife, Chef Job Yacubian)
- Zinke’s Microgreens and Ramp Salad, Hudson Valley Duck Confit, Berle Farm Crowdie, Pickled Ramps, Crushed Marcona Almonds with Ramp Pesto Vinaigrette (John Andrews Farmhouse Restaurant, Chef Dan Smith)
- Ramp Arancini (Gaskins, Chef Nick Suarez)
- Galantina Di Pollo-North Winds Farm Chicken with Ramp Aioli (Ca’Mea, Chef Wilson Costa)
- Charred Ramp and Carolina Ramp Custard with Ramp-Walnut Pesto (Gallow Green, Chef R.L. King)
- Wood Oven Roasted Beet Bruschetta, Pickled Ramps, Feta Cheese, Charred Ramp and Pistachio Pesto (Market Street/Cucina, Chef Gianni Scappin)
- Ramp Quesadilla with Roasted Ramp Salsa (The Red Onion, Chef Kevin Katz)
- Sauteed Ramps, Puglia Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Roasted Peppers, Infused Ricotta and Pecorino Crotonese Cheese (Truck Pizza, Chef Alvaro Medina)