Cocoanut Cake (Recipe)
Adapted from the 1852 cookbook of M.A. Hasbrouck from Historic Huguenot Street in New Paltz
The following is a recipe for Cocoanut Cake, adapted from M.A. Hasbrouck (1852).
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter
- 2 7-oz packages sweetened coconut flakes
- 1¾ cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Remove and set aside.
- In the same bowl, beat together the butter and coconut flakes, then add one egg yolk at a time and beat after each addition.
- With a spatula in an under-over motion, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Spoon batter into a lightly greased 10-inch tube pan and bake for about 35 minutes — check after 25 minutes — until very light brown and a knife inserted comes out clean. Remove and cool.
This dense, wonderful cake goes very well with cinnamon-ice cream or fruit sherbet. Serves 10.