Speculaas Spiced Cookies (Recipe)
Author Peter G. Rose shares her favorite holiday cookie recipes in her new cookbook
Photograph by Ken Gabrielsen
The following recipe is from my new book Delicious December: How the Dutch Brought Us Santa, Presents, and Treats: A Holiday Cookbook. This is an essential and traditional Sinterklaas treat.
Spiced cookies (Speculaas)
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp finely textured salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp of spice mixture (see below)
- Toasted whole almonds
In a small bowl combine the following and set aside:
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mace
- ½ tsp ground aniseed
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, pour the milk over the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- In another bowl, thoroughly combine butter, salt, flour, and spice mixture. Stir in sugar mixture and knead wet and dry ingredients until a smooth dough forms.
- Shape into 1¼-inch-by-1¼-inch square log, and cut into ¼-inch-thick squares.
- Arrange on lightly buttered baking sheets. Top each cookie with a whole almond.
- Bake in batches for about 15 minutes, until light brown. Cool on racks; store in airtight container. Yields about three dozen cookies.