Erie Depot, Middletown
One of Orange County’s renovated train stations
Middletown's Erie Depot is now home to the city's Thrall Library
Early last year it was announced that the old O&W station in Middletown might finally be renovated and turned into a health clinic. This grand 1892 building, designed by renowned architect Bradford Lee Gilbert, was once the O&W headquarters, as well as a major economic engine for Middletown.
But another one of the city’s old stations — the 1896 Romanesque Revival Erie Depot — had already undergone a remarkable transformation of its own. While it actually served as a train station all the way up until 1983, it sat vacant for almost a decade before plans were hatched to turn it into the new Thrall Public Library, which opened in 1995 after a $5.3 million renovation.