Union Station, Chatham
One of Columbia County’s renovated train stations
Constructed in 1887 by the Boston design firm Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, Union Station in Chatham served as a junction for rail service stretching from New York City to Vermont. Originally built by the Boston and Albany Railroad, it was in service as a commuter station until 1972, and used by various rail companies such as the New York Central Railroad and the Rutland Railway.
The building was purchased by the National United Bank of Kinderhook in 1997, and underwent a $1 million renovation before opening the following year. Freight trains still pass by regularly, and the town’s signature clock tower remains adjacent to the station.