50 Reasons to Love Summer in the Hudson Valley
Consider this your ultimate summer fun guide.
Photo Courtesy of Splash Down Beach
1) The ice cream at farms (Bellvale Farms Creamery in Warwick), shops (Zoe’s Ice Cream Barn in LaGrangeville) and stands (Joe’s Dairy Bar & Grill in Hopewell Junction).
2) Outdoor concerts at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.
3) Kayaking on the Hudson with Storm King Adventure Tours.
4) Day trips to the estates and homes of U.S. presidents and Hudson River School painters.
5) Late-night movies at drive-ins in 10 locations, including Middletown, Greenville, and Poughkeepsie.
Joe's Dairy Bar / Photo by Bridget Herlihy
6) Downhill riding on the miles of trails at Windham Mountain Bike Park.
7) Hot-air balloon rides with Blue Sky Balloons in Poughkeepsie.
8) Angry Orchard’s tours, tastings, and treehouse.
9) The West Point Jazz Ensemble at Trophy Point Amphitheatre.
10) A long-distance bike ride and a BBQ at the Farm to Fork Fondo in Warwick.
Windham Mountain Bike Park / Photo provided by Windham Mountain Resort
11) The Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum in Livingston Manor.
12) The Farm Art Trail geocache tour at the Wallkill River School of Art.
13) Family fun at Rocking Horse Ranch and Pine Ridge Dude Ranch.
14) Shopping and people-watching at the Stormville Airport Antique Show & Flea Market.
15) Viewing the Albany fireworks aboard a Dutch Apple Cruises boat.
Angry Orchard treehouse / Photo courtesy of Angry Orchard
16) Summer Solstice at the Millbrook Vineyards & Winery’s lobster bake.
17) Teatime and tours at Stonecrop Gardens in Cold Spring.
18) Cocktails and live music at Orange County Distillery at Brown Barns Farm.
19) Gaming and views at Resorts World Catskills in Monticello.
20) Dining and strolling on the Newburgh waterfront.
Dutch Apple Cruises / Photo provide by Dutch Apple Cruises
21) Produce-picking at Love Apple farm in Ghent.
22) Jazz performances at the Spiegeltent at Bard College.
23) Concerts at the barnlike Maverick Concert Hall in Woodstock.
24) The rides, boardwalk, and fireworks at Playland in Rye.
25) Swimming and relaxing at the pond’s beach in the Taconic State Park/Copake Falls Area.
Stonecrop Gardens / Photo provided by Ellen Bogen Media
26) Wandering amid sculpture at outdoor art centers Art Omi in Ghent and Storm King in New Windsor.
27) Taking a gondola ride at Belleayre Mountain.
28) Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery’s tours, products, and new restaurant.
29) Hiking and swimming at the Minnewaska State Park Preserve.
30) Tours and events like the musical 1776 on Bannerman Island.
Art Omi / Photo by Benjamin Swett
31) Renegades games and fireworks at Dutchess Stadium.
32) Volunteering opportunities at places like Woodstock Farm Sanctuary in High Falls.
33) Below- and above-ground adventures at Howe Caverns.
34) Hang-gliding with Mountain Wings in Ellenville.
35) A train ride to the Mid-Hudson Children’s Museum in Poughkeepsie, followed by a stroll over the Walkway.
Tuthilltown Spirits / Photo provided by Tuthilltown Spirits
36) Riding the rails with the newly opened Rail Explorers: Catskills in Phoenicia.
37) Treetop fun at Catamount Aerial Adventure Park in Hillsdale and Boundless Adventures at Purchase College.
38) Spending a day on the Hudson River aboard the River Rose paddle-wheeler in Newburgh, or at sunset with Tivoli Sailing.
39) Cooling off at SplashDown Beach in Fishkill and Zoom Flume in East Durham.
40) First Fridays, Second Saturdays, and Last Saturday events in places such as Poughkeepsie, Beacon, and Newburgh.
Zoom Flume's Black Vortex / Photo courtesy of Zoom Flume
41) The HITS-on-the-Hudson horse show.
42) Picnics and performances at the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival.
43) Square dancing under the stars at the Ashokan Center.
44) Glider rides at the Wurtsboro Airport.
45) Wineries on the Shawangunk Wine Trail in Ulster and Orange counties.
Mountain Wings in Ellenville / Photo courtesy of Mountain Wings
46) The Rat’s Nest Run-In car show in East Durham.
47) Scenic strolls by the river at Poets’ Walk Park in Red Hook.
48) The food and fun at Kingston’s waterfront district.
49) Going to Summer Family Camp at the Frost Valley YMCA in Claryville.
50) Staycations in Ulster County resorts like Mohonk Mountain House, Emerson Resort & Spas, and Buttermilk Falls.
Mohonk Mountain House / Photo by Jim Smith Photography