Cooking Spring Vegetables: Asparagus with Shiitake Mushrooms, Bowtie Pasta & Spring Peas (Recipe)
Perfect pasta: Our friends at the Culinary Institute always have extra recipes for us. Try this delicious (and surprisingly simple) dish featuring asparagus, peas, and bowtie pasta
Our pasta dish uses three different varieties of peas (green, sugar snap, and snow) for a bright, spring flavor
Photograph by Ben Fink/CIA
Want to use both asparagus and peas in an easy-to-create pasta dish? See below for one of our favorite Culinary Institute of America recipes — Asparagus with Shiitakes, Bowtie Pasta and Spring Peas — which uses three different varieties of peas (green, sugar snap, and snow) for a bright, spring flavor. The vegetables are minimally cooked to help retain their bright green color and natural sweetness.
Asparagus with Shiitake Mushrooms, Bowtie Pasta & Spring Peas
• 3 lbs asparagus, peeled and trimmed
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper as needed
• 1 cup snow peas
• 1 cup sugar snap peas
• 2 cups frozen green peas
• 2 cups dried bowtie pasta
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
• 3 Tbsp minced shallots
• 3 Tbsp chopped marjoram
• 2 bunches scallions, split lengthwise, thinly sliced
• Parmesan, shaved, to taste
- Salt and bring to boil: medium saucepan of water (to blanch peas) and large pot of water (for pasta). Preheat broiler
- Toss asparagus with oil and 1 tsp of salt. Place in baking pan under broiler, turning occasionally until tender and lightly browned, about 8 min. Slice asparagus on a diagonal into 1-in. pieces and reserve
- Cook each type of pea separately in boiling water until almost tender, about 2 min. each. Remove from the water using slotted spoon or small strainer and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Drain well and reserve. (Vegetables can be prepared in advance and held in covered containers in refrigerator for up to 12 hours)
- Cook pasta in boiling water until tender, about 10-12 min. Drain well, reserving some pasta water
- Heat butter in sauté pan until it begins to turn brown. Add shiitake mushrooms and shallots; sauté until light brown, 2-3 min.
- Add asparagus, green peas, snow peas, sugar snap peas, marjoram, 1 tsp salt, and pinch of pepper. Sauté, stirring or tossing, until vegetables are thoroughly heated, about 3 min.
- Add cooked pasta and toss until evenly blended. (Add some pasta water to adjust consistency, if necessary)
- Serve on heated plates and top with shaved Parmesan
Nutrition analysis per 12-ounce serving: 370 calories, 23g protein, 52g carbohydrate, 9g fat, 430mg sodium, 5mg cholesterol, 14g fiber
This recipe can be found in The Culinary Institute of America’s Vegetables Cookbook (2007 Lebhar-Friedman), which is available for purchase at bookstores nationwide or at www.ciachef.edu/enthusiasts/cookbooks_dvds.
» Hungry for more? Click here for our Thai Fresh Pea Soup recipe, courtesy of the Culinary Institute of America