Newburgh, Orange County to Ashokan, Ulster County Motorcycle Route and Map
Motorcycle loop #4: Wine and apple country from Newburgh, Orange County to Ashokan, Ulster County
Southern Ulster County is home to a number of apple orchards, several of which line this route
Photographs by Michael Nelson
This unique route goes through and around Ulster County’s vineyards and apple orchards, ending at the Ashokan Reservoir. The hilly terrain reminds me of Tuscany: Long sweeping turns are combined with constant climbs and downhills against the backdrop of breathtaking landscapes. Start on Lattintown Road in Marlboro. Wineries — including Stoutridge; Glorie Farm; and one of my favorites, Benmarl — dot the area; all three are open for tastings during warmer months.
Framed by the Catskills to the west, the Ashokan Reservoir (left) can hold more than 100 billion gallons of water. The swimming hole at Mohonk Preserve (right) is popular on hot summer afternoons
After exploring this neck of the woods, I head west on Route 44/55 through New Paltz, climbing up the Shawangunks to the Mohonk Preserve and Lake Minnewaska. For a fun summertime diversion, turn right on Clove Road, travel a mile or two to the preserve parking lot, and hike to the swimming hole that has formed between two rock outcroppings. Back on your motorcycle, head north on Clove Valley Road to Route 213. After a trip through the woods you arrive at the Ashokan Reservoir. The oldest of the Catskills reservoirs, this 180-foot-deep man-made lake has been providing water to New York City since 1915.
Newburgh to Ashokan (Wine Country) Directions:
- Start at Newburgh Landing
- Head north on River Rd./Water St. for one mile
- Turn right onto Balmville Rd. and continue for two miles
- Continue north on Rte. 9W
- Turn left onto Latintown Rd. and continue for five miles
- Turn left onto County Rte. 10 and continue for five miles
- Head west onto Rte. 55/44 and continue to travel through Gardiner for eight miles, passing through the notch of the Shawangunk Ridge
- Turn right onto Clove Rd. and continue for eight miles
- Turn left onto Rte. 6
- Continue to Rte. 209
- Turn left onto Rte. 213 and continue for eight miles
- Arrive at the Ashokan Reservoir
- Enjoy your ride!