“I Love Leftover Turkey Time” Sandwiches Recipe
Thanksgiving leftovers are put to wonderful use in Nancy Fuller’s “I Love Leftover Turkey Time” sandwiches
My daughter Kimberlee and her family refer to my sandwiches as Gigi sandwiches. I make them whenever they come for lunch. I usually grill them and add sliced avocado to make them even moister. If you have leftover gravy, warm some up and use it as a dip along with the cranberry mayo!
When I don’t have turkey on hand, I use whatever is in the fridge — leftover pork roast, prime rib, roast chicken, or even canned tuna.
“I Love Leftover Turkey Time” Sandwiches
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 Tbs grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices sturdy country white bread or rye
- 4 slices leftover Thanksgiving turkey
- ½ cup leftover stuffing
- 4 slices avocado
- 4 thin slices sharp cheddar or Brie cheese (or whatever is in the refrigerator!)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, and mustard.
- Spread the butter on one side of all of the bread slices. Flip two slices of bread, buttered sides down, in a skillet.
- Spread each with a little of the cranberry mayo. Layer the turkey on top, then the stuffing, avocado, and cheese.
- Spread a little more of the cranberry spread on top of the cheese.
- Add the second slices of bread, turn the heat to medium, and place the skillet on the burner. Grill until the sandwiches are golden on both sides, four minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining cranberry mayo sauce.