Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This gluten-free soup is a healthy alternative to carb-heavy Thanksgiving side dishes
Tom Costello, head chef and owner of Yorktown Heights’ Thyme Steak and Seafood, suggests this healthy (and hearty) alternative to some of your heavier Thanksgiving side dishes. This soup is also great for a cozy night in.
Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 1-lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ½ stick butter
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bunch leeks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1½ qts vegetable stock
- Salt and white pepper
- Pumpkin seed oil
- In a pot, melt butter and add canola oil.
- Add chopped onion, leeks and carrot and sweat for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add chopped squash and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender, then purée in a blender to get a smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste; garnish with pumpkin seed oil.
Related: More Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes