Grownz Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to make the Grownz Up Grilled Cheese sandwich
Photograph courtesy of Fresh Cornwall
Says Heather Wojehowski of Fresh Cornwall, “this jacked up version — with bacon, tomatoes, and onions — is a more mature take on the average grilled cheese we ate as kids. ‘Grownz up’ is a reference to the movie Swingers with Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau. The diner scene in that movie is infamous!” The sandwich is $6.50 ($7.50 with bacon), but here’s how you can make it at home:
Grownz Up Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cooked
- 4 slices slow roasted plum tomatoes
- 2 oz caramelized red and yellow onions
- Softened butter or olive oil, as needed
- Place sourdough on cutting board. Brush bread with softened butter and top with grated cheese.
- Top with caramelized onions, followed by tomatoes and bacon.
- Enclose sandwich with buttered sides facing outwards and place on panini press.
- Press for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and all of the ingredients are hot.