Jamon and Manchego Tosta
How to make the Jamon and Manchego Tosta Grilled Cheese sandwich
Courtesy of Elephant Wine Bar
Photograph courtesy of Elephant Wine Bar
Elephant Wine Bar’s Spanish-inspired grilled cheese — the cheesy creation of Chef Rich Reeve — combines a gratin of Spanish ham, cheese, and crème frâiche on peasant bread.
Jamon & Manchego Tosta
- Bechamel sauce with Jamon Serrano (Spanish ham), chilled; see recipe below
- 8 slices peasant bread, cut on the bias
- 2 oz Jamon Serrano, torn into pieces
- 4 oz Manchego cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- Parsley, chopped
- Coarse black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F (can also use broiler).
- Brush peasant bread slices with olive oil and toast in oven or under broiler, a little more on one side then the other. Remove from oven.
- Generously and evenly spread chilled Bechamel on lighter side of toasts using the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, parsley, and top with torn pieces of Jamon Serrano.
- Put tostas back in oven or under broiler and cook until golden and bubbly.
- Remove and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with pepper, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Bechamel Sauce with Jamon Serrano
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 6 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4-5 oz Jamon Serrano, diced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Combine butter, flour, and nutmeg in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until barely browned and thickened.
- Gradually stir in the cream, then the crème fraiche and Dijon.
- Stir constantly on low heat until mixture is thick and smooth (4-5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add Jamon Serrano.
- Mix well to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste.